Kimberly A. Halley, LMFT
Ms. Halley originally studied Chemical Engineering at the University of Minnesota. After graduation, she worked as an instructor at the Navy’s Nuclear Propulsion Program where she first started counseling as a student adviser and class director for officer students. Upon discharging from the Navy, Ms. Halley worked as an engineer with a biotech company doing specialized water treatment & sold semiconductors in Silicon Valley during the dotcom bubble. Kim then moved to South Carolina and decided to focus more on helping people instead of working with ideas and things. Using her GI Bill, she went to graduate school to study marriage and family therapy at Converse College. While in graduate school, Ms. Halley worked on the Mental Health Association’s Crisis Line and volunteered as a guardian ad litem. In the spring of 2004, while trying to determine her “theory” of therapy, two DBT therapists from Three Springs DBT Group came to present at Converse. This proved to be a pivotal moment in Kim’s career because after her interest was piqued and she did an independent study on DBT, she went to work for Three Springs DBT Group in the fall of 2005.
Ms. Halley received intensive DBT training in 2005 by Linehan-trained therapists and more recently was intensively trained in Radically-Open DBT (RO-DBT), a treatment for Treating Over-Control Problems (2014-17). Other on-going specialized training includes:
- Advanced Topics in DBT with a Special Emphasis on Adolescents (2006)
- How to Be a Skills Trainer in DBT (2006)
- Treating the Multiply-Disordered Suicidal Client in DBT (2007)
- Individual Psychotherapy in DBT (2008)
- The Neuroscience of Anxiety & Depression (2009)
- Treating PTSD with Prolonged Exposure in DBT with High Risk Borderline Personality Disorder Clients (2013)
- Dialectical Behavior Therapy Skills with Multi-Problem Adolescents (2015)
- Somatic & Attachment-focused EMDR (2018)
In addition to offering DBT therapies, Ms. Halley provides evidence-based treatment for Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder, a diagnosis that can complicate treatment. After eight years with Three Springs DBT, Ms. Halley decided to start her own counseling center, Clarify Counseling, LLC where she continues to provide comprehensive DBT and work with her DBT team to provide evidence-based treatments.